2017 – Completed Series
Evolving Your Yoga
with Barrie Risman
Evolving Your Yoga has been postponed.
For more information please contact us at email@example.com
Are you a yoga teacher or student interested in expanding the benefits of your yoga practice without necessarily doing more or working harder? Do you sense (or even know) that yoga can serve you in bigger ways and yet are unsure how to go about extracting the richness of the practice?
Join us for a series interactive, engaging and practical discussions designed to help you understand and expand your practice:
- Evolving Your Yoga: Principles for deepening, expanding and integrating practice
- Mud to Lotus: Transformative Approaches to Practice
- Finding Balance: Embracing the pairs of opposites
- The 1 before the 0000s: Nurturing the Inner Relationship
- Remembering Wholeness
- Connecting to your Steady Center
Each evening will shed new light on your yoga practice by giving you the tools and knowledge to:
- Clarify why you practice and the role yoga plays in your life
- Learn simple approaches to practice that will infinitely expand the benefits of how you practice and teach yoga.
- Understand how the wisdom of yoga and your practice can serve you in your life right now.
Passionate yoga educator and seasoned seeker on the path, Barrie has been immersed in the teachings and practices of yoga for more than two decades. Her teaching weaves together technical precision with an ever-present awareness of the great wisdom of yoga philosophy.
Barrie has lead retreats, teacher trainings and workshops throughout Canada and internationally since 2004. Barrie has been a student of Iyengar Yoga since 1993 and was a certified Anusara Yoga teacher and teacher-trainer from 2003 – 2012, as well as member of the Anusara Yoga Teacher Certification Committee.
She is the creator of The Skilful Yogi, a unique online professional development program for yoga teachers and author of the Skilful Yogi blog. Most recently, she serves as co-director of the World Spine Care Yoga Project, whose mission is to empower underserved populations to share the practices of yoga. Barrie is currently at work on a book about evolving and deepening yoga practice for students and teachers of all styles of yoga. www.barrierisman.com
with Bhaskar Goswami
A 6-week series
This winter, dedicate one evening a week to restoring your body, mind and spirit. In a safe space, connect with others by simply listening or participating in a dialogue circle on important life themes which we all face.
Surrounded by like-minded people, each of these six sessions will begin with a gentle seated hatha yoga practice accessible to all levels, followed by pranayama (breath work), meditation and discussion. Topics include:
- Overcoming fear/anxiety
- And more!
From Assam, India, Bhaskar was born into the yogic tradition. He comes from the lineage of Vasishtha, who is considered to be one of the founding fathers of this ancient practice. He has been trained at the Transcendental Meditation school of Assam in India, by Yogacharya Nandakumar in Kuwait and by Siromani Sriram and the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta in Canada. His 10-year international engineering career provides him with a strong understanding of work-life balance. In 2007 he founded the multiple award winning BODHI (bodhiprinciple.com), a company dedicated to offering genuine wellbeing to people in workplaces and schools. In 2014 he co-founded the non-profit organization daana (globaldaana.org) promoting wellness for all. He is an acclaimed speaker, a certified Naturopath and a father of two beautiful children. The foundation of his teaching is breath awareness.
Meditate with Mel
A 6-week series
Meditation quiets the mind by directing our awareness on one point. Whether that point is our breath, a mantra or an image we are training the mind to be focused and still – away from our habitual patterns of thought. As we learn to deepen our meditation, we come to experience an inner-peace, joy and contentment independent from our external ups and downs.
In this 6-week series, Melanie will introduce you to different styles of non-secular meditation so that you may find the one that best fits your personality.
- February 2nd: Traditional Buddhist Meditation (mindfulness meditation) based on the Vipassana tradition (Anapana)
- February 9th: Breathing meditations based on Pranayama (control of the breath)
- February 16th: Japa meditation (the meditative repetition of a mantra using mala beads)
- February 23rd: Yantra Meditation – meditation on a sacred symbol
- March 2nd: Mantra (sacred word) and Mudra (hand gestures) meditation based in the Kundalini Yoga tradition
- March 9th: Metta (loving-kindness) Meditation
iRest Yoga Nidra
with Susan Schneir
“Yoga Nidra with Susan gave me a great sense of peace. …it offers a moment of respite where you can be yourself and move toward greater serenity.”
This four-week series will introduce and welcome you into the practice of iRest® Yoga Nidra, a practice that counteracts the depressive impact on your mind and body of the short winter days.
iRest Yoga Nidra combines the science of Eastern meditation with Western psychology and neuroscience allowing you enter a state of absolute relaxation. The practice is based on ancient teachings of meditation and has developed into an evidence-based transformative practice that leads to psychological, physical, and spiritual healing and well-being.
Each class in this series will start with a few moments of discussion about the teachings and practice of iRest Yoga Nidra before moving into a guided meditation practice.
We then settle into any physically comfortable position for 30 minutes of calming, peaceful, rejuvenating reflection. My voice becomes your voice as we travel from body and breath sensing inward…
Research has found that engaging in deep relaxation while meditating leads to a significant decrease in depression, anxiety, stress, chronic and acute pain, PTSD, and insomnia. Yoga Nidra provides you with tools to help you relax deeply, release stress, increase resiliency and improve your interpersonal relationships. Yoga Nidra also nourishes and enhances noble qualities of Yoga such as joy, peacefulness, empathy, forgiveness, patience and loving-kindness toward yourself and others.
iRest is a perfect choice for this time of year, whether you’re a first timer or a more advanced yogi who wants to deepen your practice.
“Yoga nidra added the element of serenity to my overall yoga practice. Dealing with the stress of multitasking iRest provided a weekly reset to my system. I came out of classes with clarity of mind that lasted through the week. Susan’s calming voice and attitude really helped me get a restful night of sleep.”
Kundalini Yoga: A Journey into Consciousness
With Shabad Saroop Singh Kalsa
Kundalini Yoga combines posture, movement, stretches, breath, meditation and mantra to carry us to a deeper awareness of the Authentic Inner Self. Through various sets of Yoga postures, the chakras (energy centres) are awakened and balanced. In this 4-week series we will explore how to further open the chakra centers and balance and elevate their vibration.
- March 16th: The body, your temple
- March 23rd: The mind, your program
- March 30th: The kundalini, your super power
- April 6th: The soul, your destiny
Shabad Saroop Singh Kalsa:
Shabad Saroop Singh Kalsa, who has practiced kundalini yoga since 1981, is a certified Kundalini Yoga Instructor and trainer by Kundalini research institute (KRI) and co-founder and director of Equilibrium Yoga that opened it’s doors on September 10th, 2001. In 1982, Shabad met Yogi Bhajan in 1982 and has since studied with this great master under his personal tutelage. As a teacher with over 30 years of experience he regularly travels to study and deepen his knowledge of yoga. Shabad offers, every year at his studio the “Aquarian teacher ” kundalini yoga level 1 teacher training. Over the years he also given that training in Québec City, Ottawa, Toronto, London and Cambridge in the United Kindgom and Rochester, in the United States, training over 300 Kundalini yoga teachers. Shabad shares the teachings of Yoga with warmth, humanity, wisdom and a rare sense of humour. Teaching for him is a vehicle to serve others and to contribute to the uplifting of humanity.
Live Clean: An Ayurveda Spring Detox
With Dominic Tambuzzo
In this 4 part series, you will explore how the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda can be applied concretely in your everyday routine.
At the end of the 4 weeks, you will have the tools to perform a simple, effective and customized seasonal cleanse.
- March 14th: Foundations of Ayurveda : Introduction to India’s 5000 yr old Mind/Body/Spirit holistic medicinal practice
- March 21st : The Doshas, our 4 Digestive fires (Agni) and toxicity (Ama) according to Ayurveda
- March 28th: Dinacharya (seasonal and daily health routine) and how to maintain a strong Agni
- April 4th: Seasonal cleansing prep : a simple, east-to-follow guide to a 3-day home cleanse.
Shedding Fear, Insecurity & Anxiety with
Yoga, Meditation & Spirituality
with Bram Levinson
A 3-hr workshop
This class will provide an open forum to address issues impacting self-esteem, how we operate in our own lives and the world around us and how we see ourselves.
Designed to galvanize participants to leave inspired and motivated, this module brings together meditation techniques with a general introduction to incorporating spirituality in any and every given moment.
Terms and Conditions for Workshops, Series and Events:
- Pre-registration is suggested in order to secure your place for workshops, series and special events
- Unpaid registrations are not confirmed
- For special promotions to apply, payment must be received in full on or before the promotion deadline
- Cancellation requests received more than one week in advance of the workshop, series or event can be transfered or refunded minus a 25% administration fee
- No refunds, credits or transfers will be offered for cancellation requests received one week or less before the start of the workshop, series or special event